Here is an extract from Click NY – Big spaceship were one of the guests. Here are some of his words of wisdon on how to run an agency.
Big Spaceship is not a ‘web design shop”, not a full service interactive agency, not an ad agency and not a production company. Michael defines Big Spaceship as a digital creative agency, that creates engaging experiences for brands.
Some of Michael’s philosophies in running his company:
– everyone’s creative! He despise the term ‘the creatives’.
– small is good. (but it’s hard not to grow) scale can be the enemy of quality. creative is about culture.
– don’t hire assholes! No amount of talent can compensate for the negativity that a Ass* brings to a work environment.
– stay flat.
– hire to be the dumbest person in the room. surround yourself with people that are smarter than you. somebody who is of excellence and passion.
– experiment constantly
– focus on culture
– give autonomy. manage by exception.